In Faith . . .
In Hope . . .
Christian Marriage: A Covenant
Christian Marriage is a covenant whereby two people guided by the love of God seek to live out their love for each other. The congregation, in loving partnership with couples, strives to support them in this commitment.
Preparation for the Covenant:
- Worship. Worship is essential for understanding faith and feeling part of the church family. Worship services are held at 9:00am and 10:30am Sundays throughout the year.
- Spiritual Formation. Enrichment sessions deepen commitment, strengthen communication and clarify expectations.
Celebration of the Covenant of Marriage:
- Order of Service. This is designed in consultation with the Minister.
- Music. Music is chosen in consultation with the organist. Guest musicians are permitted.
- Marriage License. A marriage license must be obtained within 90 days of the date of marriage from Alberta Registries.
- Photographs. Pictures are an essential part of the marriage celebration and offer lasting memories. While photographs are permitted during specified segments of the service, it is imperative that photographers respect the dignity and sacredness of the ceremony.
Our first worship service was held on Thanksgiving Sunday 1980. Nine years later, our church building was dedicated. A 25-foot cross hangs in the chancel. Furnishings are in golden oak, which are softened by the peach hue of feature walls. Grey carpeting covers the floor.
The sanctuary, with a centre aisle and two side aisles, seats 250 people.
- In respect of our church home, please do not consume alcohol on church property. Please inform your guests that confetti, rice, rose petals, birdseed, and any other celebration substances are not allowed.
We cannot be responsible for any lost items including cameras, video-recording equipment, cell phones, or CD's.
- You may phone and make a tentative booking. Give your date and time preferred. Weddings are scheduled two hours apart. This allows time for you to decorate before the ceremony and clean up following the ceremony. A tentative booking will be held until you meet with one of the Ministers at which point you will make a deposit of $100 (to be made out to Riverbend United church).
- Attend Worship.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with one of the Ministers. Your church booking for the ceremony and rehearsal will be confirmed at this time.
- Wedding Fee: $650. Payable to Riverbend United Church. Please bring the remainder of the fee ($550) to the wedding rehearsal.
- Riverbend United Church will provide the Minister,organist, janitorial services and marriage preparation. We will issue a marriage certificate. Your marriage will be recorded with Alberta Vital Statistics.
Six weeks prior to ceremony:
- Meet with the organist
Four weeks prior to ceremony:
- Purchase Marriage License and submit to Church Office
- Confirm Order of Service
- $650.00 ($100 deposit at first meeting with Minister/$550 payable at rehearsal)
- Payable on or before the rehearsal date.
After the ceremony:
- Remember to take your audio and video equipment
- You are responsible for removing flower boxes, etc.
Let us know if we can be of help.
Ministerial Team at the Church Office:
Congregational Minister – Don Koots
Office Manager – Jacqueline Hunt
Riverbend United Church
14907 - 45 Avenue
(Corner of Riverbend Road & 45th Avenue)
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5K8
Phone: (780) 430-7275
Fax: (780) 432-6580